ZocdocAnswersIs Walgreens extra strength pain reliever acetaminophen safe to take when you are breastfeeding?

Question

Is Walgreens extra strength pain reliever acetaminophen safe to take when you are breastfeeding?

Apparently I took the Walgreen extra strength pain reliever acetaminophen but wasn't sure If it is safe for my baby too since I'm breastfeeding. If its not safe to take it if I'm breastfeeding then how long do I have to wait to be able to breastfeed her again?

Answer

Thank you for your question. I am glad that you are being thoughtful about the medications you are using while breastfeeding, and you should consult with your obstetrics and gynecology doctor or pediatrician for further information. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is generally thought to be safe to use while breastfeeding in the normal dosing range. From medication safety studies we know that acetaminophen is excreted into breast milk in low concentrations, and it can also be detected in the urine of infants who are nursing. However, adverse reactions have not been observed in any studies to date, with the exception of one case report that described a rash in an infant that was exposed to acetaminophen through nursing. If you do need to take tylenol while you are breastfeeding, make sure to adhere to the dosing restrictions. To prevent liver toxicity, you should not take more than 3,000mg in one day. If you have a history of severe liver disease or cirrhosis, you should not exceed 2,000mg per day. As always, please consult with your physician for further information about the safety of medications to use while breastfeeding, as many medications have different safety profiles. Best of luck and stay well!