Could I have popped a vein in my leg?

So the other night i realized that the vein in my knee was sticking out about half an inch. I went to bed not thinking anything of it then woke up in the middle of the night with the WORST pain in my calf, which was funny to me because it was my knee acting up, not my calf. But as a few days passed i have servere bruising and swelling in my knee and my ankle. My entire leg is tender to the touch and underneath all the bruises i feel that there is knots. What is happening? Should i see a doctor or is this one of those things that will heal with time?
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and I can understand why they are concerning. In order to determine the specific cause of the changes in your leg, you will need to undergo a detailed review of your medical history as well as thorough physical exam. Therefore, I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. After a thorough, in-person evaluation, the doctor can make recommendations regarding possible causes as well as potential treatment options. In someone with an abnormal appearing leg vein as well as calf pain, it is important to ensure you have not suffered a deep vein thrombosis. This occurs when a blood clot occurs in a vein, often in the leg. This is potentially life threatening, because the blood clot can migrate to your lungs, thereby increasing the amount of strain on your heart. Risk factors for a deep vein thrombosis include immobility (such as after a surgery), inherited disorder increasing risk of blood clot, and tumor. Treatment typically consists of a course of blood thinner. Other possible causes of the pain and bruising is a hematoma, or blood collection, or tendon rupture in the leg. It will not be possible to determine the cause without performing a physical exam, and I encourage you to discuss these possibilities with a primary care doctor.

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045