Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have painful bowel movements where the pain lingers sometimes for hours after each bm? "

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have painful bowel movements where the pain lingers sometimes for hours after each bm?


This started 5-6 weeks when I was treated for what was believed to be epididymitis (sp?) and was on Naproxen and an antibiotic. Was almost all better when one day I had bad diahreah and a sour stomach, then the next day was constipated and bled after the bm. Ever since then (5-6 wks ago) my bowel movements have all had varying degrees of pain, sometimes the pain will linger long after. Maybe 15% of them have blood either on the toilet paper or little blood clot looking things in the stools. I get really gassy sometimes and other times after a bm there is an unbearable stinging and burning pain in my anus. I'm terrified it's colon cancer. Please help!


You have blood in your stool which is concerning and the best thing to do is to see a gatroenterologist. You also mention that you have pain in the anus, and some constipation and diarrhea. Naproxen is a medication in the NSAID category that can weaken the lining of your stomach and can cause gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) leading to bleeding. If there is a lot of blood in the stomach, it can be seen in your stool. Some of the more common causes of blood in the stool are hemorrhoids. They are causes by constipation. When you are constipated, you strain which causes pressure in your pelvic region leading to hemorrhoids. Constipation can also lead to anal fissures which are tears in the anus from the hard stool. Anal fissures can also bleed and can cause pain in the anus during and after a bowel movement. People with chronic constipation can have episodes of diarrhea when the constipation is suddenly relieved. You can prevent constipation eating fiber rich foods. The most concerning issue right now is the blood in your stool. It could be caused by hemorrhoids or anal fissures or something more serious such as infection or malignancy. You should see a gastroenterologist. If you are above the age of 50, you should get a colonoscopy for routine health screening.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.