ZocdocAnswersI have been bleeding for almost ten days now, what could it be?

Question

I have been bleeding for almost ten days now, what could it be?

I started spotting on the 26,27 and a little on the 28th then nothing until the first. Then i started bleeding all the way up until now.. i am not on birth control and never have been. i took about ten test and there all negative. i am 22 years old and am sexually active however we always use condoms. i have iregular painful periods but they last 5 to 7 days. this one is different and im scared. It is bright red blood. I did have sore boobs which i always get before periods but now i dont feel it anymore they seem normal. I have slight back pain every now and then but thats it

Answer

Thanks for your question and sorry to hear about your concerns. There are many different possible explanations, but you will need to speak with your doctor to help get more answers. Many blood thinners such as aspirin, NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or motrin, and even some herbal products can thin the blood and prolong menstrual bleeding. This is also true of different medical conditions that can thin your blood. Other things that can cause prolonged bleeding include trauma. Tumors of the uterus such as fibroids can also present initially as continued or prolonged menstrual bleeding. In addition to all of the above, it is possible that a pregnancy can be terminated and result in a miscarriage, which could potentially present as prolonged bleeding that could correlate with the menstrual cycle. As you can see, there are many different possibilities, and so speaking with your doctor will be important. He or she will also be able to check to make sure that the prolonged bleeding has not caused problems for you such as a low blood count (anemia). Some other tests may be helpful to explain the answer to your question. Please speak with your doctor about this question.