Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What can I do about tendonitis?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about tendonitis?


My hand is hurting really bad


This is a great question. It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your exam, he or she may refer you to an orthopedist who specializes in hands. He or she may also order imaging such as an x-ray. Tendonitis is inflammation or irritation of a tendon, which is a thick cord like structure that connects muscle to bone. If you have already received a formal diagnosis of tendonitis then the usual treatment is rest, ice, keeping it elevated if it is swollen, and sometimes wearing a brace. Usually tendonitis is caused by overuse of the hand so it is important to find a way to stop doing the offending action or modify it in someway so that the tendon has a chance to heal. Sometimes a course of physical therapy is needed. Usually over the counter or prescription anti-inflammatories are used to help treat the pain. Sometimes a steroid injection can be helpful. If you are just assuming it is tendonitis then it is very important to see your doctor to make sure that there is not something else going on.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.