What could cause large blood clots during menstrual cycle?

I have a question regarding my menstrual cycle. My periods have always been heavy but over the last several years I've noticed the majority of my period is filled with large clots. I'm beginning to think this is not normal and could be something more serious. Any suggestions on what could cause this?
If you haven't talked with your regular primary care doctor about this issue, it would be worth doing so the next time you see them. Large clots during the menstrual period are just a sign of heavy bleeding. The more blood that is present, the more likely you are to notice clots while menstruating. In my mind, the presence of clots is concerning, but mostly just because it is another confirmation that your periods are indeed quite heavy. Heavy menstrual bleeding is worth thinking about carefully for two reasons. First, with repeated heavy bleeding each month, it is possible to lose a significant amount of blood, and this could lead to a chronic anemia, which can cause symptoms like fatigue, shortness of breath, and palpitations. A simple blood test can look for anemia, and most cases can be treated by taking iron supplements, although in severe cases it might be necessary to take an oral contraceptive pill or other treatment to modify your periods. Second, sometimes heavy periods can be a sign of an underlying medical problem, such as endometriosis or uterine fibroids. If one of these conditions are present, there are treatments which might be indicated which your doctor can discuss with you. Again, please speak with your doctor.