ZocdocAnswersI've had chronic yeast infection since partial bag hyst 8 months ago. What should I do?

Question

I've had chronic yeast infection since partial bag hyst 8 months ago. What should I do?

I had to have the hystorectomy due to a severe uterine infection after the birth of my daughter. My water started leaking 4 weeks prior to being induced.

Answer

So sorry to hear about this continued infection and about the complicated birth of your daughter. Hopefully, she is doing quite well and you are starting to recover to some degree. Any emergency or unplanned surgery can be quite traumatic, and especially when they have this sort of impact on the rest of your life. Fortunately, there are things that can be done. Obviously, there are many medications that are available over the counter for yeast infections that can be very effective when used appropriately. In your specific situation, it is important to speak with your doctor to make sure there is not some underlying condition that is making these infections last for so long. If you have immune suppression, such as being on steroids, having an immune suppression disease, or even have some of the changes of pregnancy, your body can have a hard time fighting some of these chronic infections which can sap your strength and detract from your quality of life. Speaking with your doctor is a good first start, as there are many anti-fungals that can be effective and can be taken in a simple method. Perhaps an infectious disease doctor could also help.