Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a small hole under the head of my penis, what is this?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a small hole under the head of my penis, what is this?


When I pull my foreskin back it's under the head of my penis


I would recommend going to see your primary care doctor about this. The most likely cause of a hole in the penis such as the one you describe is a condition called hypospadias. This is a congenital condition (meaning that you are born with it) that is fairly common in men. Most cases of hypospadias are picked up in infancy or early childhood, but some minor cases might be missed and not picked up until much later. Your primary care doctor will be able to perform an examination and help figure out if this is in fact what is going on. If so, then a referral to a urologist is in order, as most cases of hypospadias should undergo surgical repair. Additionally it will be necessary to perform a complete physical examination, and potentially some other testing ( such as an ultrasound) because, occasionally, hypospadias may be associated with other abnormalities that might also have gone unrecognized. Regardless, start by calling and making an appointment with your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. They'll be able to help you figure out what is going on, and they'll also be able to make any necessary referrals if the diagnosis is confirmed.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.