ZocdocAnswersHow can I make my painful vein on my leg less painful?

Question

How can I make my painful vein on my leg less painful?

It's hurt so bad. I have pictures of it. Do I need to go to the docter? It was fine today up until I played hard with my dog and took him for a long walk. Now my leg is sore and don't want to walk on my right leg. Will this go away by itself or do i need to go to a docter to make it go away?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a doctor specializing in treating leg veins like a vascular medicine doctor or plastic surgeon. Based upon what you are describing, it is possible that you have superficial thrombophlebitis which is inflammation of the superficial veins in your legs that is often related to blood clots in those veins. This is not the same as a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which has the potential for causing a pulmonary embolism but rather something that happens in the veins along the superficial part of the leg which can cause pain and discomfort. Treatment options include heat or ice packs, NSAIDs, raising your leg to help with blood return, amongst other options. Your doctor has other procedures that he or she can offer to treat these and so it is important to discuss all the options with your doctor to decide what is the best course of action for you. Oftentimes, people find that the pain from this improves over time, especially if you do the treatments discussed here, but it is still best to be evaluated by your doctor who can make sure this isn't serious.