ZocdocAnswersWhy is my wrist hurting?

Question

Why is my wrist hurting?

My right wrist started to hurt about a month ago. Not strong pain, more like a small throb slight discomfort. I'm not sure what it is, but I thought it may be because I've been on the computer a lot lately and maybe I haven't been holding up my wrists right like I'm supposed to. I bought a wrist brace to help my wrist stay straight (more like to prevent further damage than because of the pain) but the discomfort is still present, especially when I'm handwriting. What is it? I'm in college right now so writing is a must, but I'm trying to give my hand as much of a break as I can. Is there something in my diet I can alter to help with this? Will the pain eventually go away? I'm 19, btw. Thank you,

Answer

This is an excellent question. Because wrist pain is fairly common, especially in people that work on computers, there are a variety of options available to help with the pain. That being said, it is important that you are evaluated by a healthcare professional such as your primary care doctor, because he or she will be best able to evaluate your past medical history and perform a physical exam to make sure there isn't something serious going on with your wrist. Depending on what your doctor finds during your exam, he or she may order imaging such as an x-ray. It is not uncommon for people that work on the computer to have wrist symptoms, this can sometimes even progress to carpal tunnel disease. To improve your symptoms, you can consider getting an ergonomic keyboard, taking some anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, and getting up from the computer regularly to avoid aggravating your symptoms. You can also stretch your wrists often and ice your wrist when it is feeling inflamed. You can also try wearing an over the counter wrist splint, especially at night. Again, it is very important for you to make an appointment with your primary care doctor to get a correct diagnosis and treatment.