ZocdocAnswersMy thumbs randomly get swollen, what could it be?

Question

My thumbs randomly get swollen, what could it be?

My thumbs randomly get swollen when i touch chalk or my schools gyms floor. It happens randomly

Answer

This is quite an interesting question and I recommend that you discuss it with your doctor. The fact that you seem to be able to pinpoint your problem to specific associations such as chalk and the school gym floor is suggestive of an allergy. What the two share in common is hard to pinpoint, however. If you also are suggesting that you have the symptoms some but not all of the times that you come into contact with those things, that is even more interesting. Furthermore, if you have the reaction limited to your thumbs, that is further unique. Given that there are so many interesting associations, it makes me question if this really is an allergy, or if you are noticing the reaction or swelling and it is simply a coincidence that it is associated with those other things. There are many different things that can cause swelling throughout your body, but it is rare to find something that is isolated to your thumbs. That suggests that there could be something affecting the vasculature of your thumbs or extremities. In light of the many variable that are in effect, and the fact that more information is needed, you will need to speak with your doctor about this question. Please speak with your doctor.