ZocdocAnswersWill my sun allergy (likely polymorphic light eruption) ever go away?

Question

Will my sun allergy (likely polymorphic light eruption) ever go away?

I'm 24, female, pale, blond, blue-eyed (little melanin, sadly). Will my sun allergy (likely polymorphic light eruption, based on my symptoms) go away with biological changes such as pregnancy, menopause, or aging? Or will I have it until I die at 95 years old?

Answer

It is not clear from your question if you have consulted with your doctor about these symptoms, or if the diagnosis has been confirmed. There are many different conditions that can cause skin reactions to sunlight, including several distinct variants of "sun allergy." Therefore, my first recommendation for you would be to have this diagnosis explored and confirmed by a dermatologist, if you have not done so already. If the diagnosis does turn out to be polymorphous light eruption, then this is a condition which tends to wax and wane but persist for quite a long time, often for life. The condition can often be well controlled by use of topical steroid creams and sun screen, although more serious and persistent cases will need more specialized treatment by a dermatologist. Differentiating sun-induced skin reactions that have an identifiable (and treatable) cause is also an important part of the workup of your symptoms. For example, there are numerous prescription medications as well as herbal medications that can cause sensitivity to sunlight, and identifying and removing these can sometimes be all that is needed. Similarly, sun sensitivity may occasionally be a sign of an underlying medical condition, such as lupus. Please start by talking with your doctor at your earliest convenience.