ZocdocAnswersMy son head-butted me really hard in the pelvic area and a few hours later I started bleeding like as if it were my period. Should I be concerned?

Question

My son head-butted me really hard in the pelvic area and a few hours later I started bleeding like as if it were my period. Should I be concerned?

I'm not supposed to get my period until the 28th of this month.and i just had my last period on 8-28-13 and Earlier my son head-butted me really hard in the pelvic area and a few hours after that i started bleeding like as if it were my period. Should i be concerned?

Answer

Yes. Please speak with your doctor about this concern. While you do not relate the amount of bleeding or whether or not the blood is bright red or appears to be older, it is important to speak with your doctor if you have abnormal vaginal bleeding. Obviously, there are some rare instances where the trauma can be significant and large amounts of bleeding are noted which require an emergency visit to the doctor to make sure that the bleeding is able to be controlled. In situations in which the bleeding is less significant, it is still important to check in with your doctor to make sure that it is not a sign of something else. If you were pregnant, for example, this bleeding would be especially concerning and it would or could be an emergency. In other situations, it could be something more minor. In other situations, it could even be a sign of something that needs to be addressed but has not had any other symptoms. In general, if your symptoms are mild and you are not bleeding significantly, a phone call to your doctor may suffice so that he or she can ask you specific questions to make sure you are well. Please speak with your doctor about this question.