ZocdocAnswersCan digging in your nose change your nose shape and make your nostrils bigger?

Question

Can digging in your nose change your nose shape and make your nostrils bigger?

i dont dig im just asking

Answer

You ask a very good question about the size of your nose and nostrils, and whether manipulation can cause permanent changes. I would recommend making an appointment with an ENT or facial plastic surgeon to get evaluated. There are a number of different structures that come into play when talking about the overall shape and function of your nose. There are bony structures such as the nasal bones high on the dorsum of your nose, and the posterior part of your septum (which is also bone) that provide support to the bridge of your nose. Furthermore, the anterior part of your septum (the divider that goes down the middle of your nose) is cartilage and provides dorsal support. Lastly there are the cartilages of your nose (upper lateral cartilages and lower lateral cartilages) that provide some of the structure and support to the tip of the nose. Changing the shape of your nose would involve altering one or all of these structures (which is what it done during a rhinoplasty). It is highly unlikely that digital manipulation would cause any permanent damage and altered shape of your nose. If you are interested in changing the shape or function of your nose, I would recommend making an appointment with an ENT or facial plastic surgeon to get evaluated.