ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to take resveratrol during pregnancy?

Question

Is it safe to take resveratrol during pregnancy?

I had taken resveratrol along with my other supplements for about a year before I got pregnant. After I got pregnant I kept taking it because I know if it would do any harm and it worked well for me otherwise up until that point. Now Im 4 1/2 months pregnant and I just started looking into how it effects pregnant women. The studies are lacking and inconclusive. I have stopped taking it now but am worried about the possible effect it may have already had on my unborn child.

Answer

Thanks for your question. Many medications have been poorly studied in pregnant women, and it is therefore difficult to determine what effects, if any, these medications will have on your unborn child. Many times the manufacturer will have access to some of the best information about these questions, but you may choose to seek this info from a different source. Your pharmacist is likely to be able to help to some degree as well, as he or she will likely be quite familiar with the medications. Ultimately, your doctor will be able to help you understand the risks in concert with these other groups. Your OB/GYN may be able to complete some additional testing as well to let you know what, if any, effects this medication has had on your unborn child. Speaking with your doctor is also important so that he or she can make recommendations to optimize both your help and that of your baby. Please speak with your doctor.