I had a cold sore on my lip and it turned into a scab. What should I do?

And when I got into the shower the scab came off what should I do?
Thanks for your question, I recommend that you speak with your doctor about this. Cold sores are usually caused by a herpes virus, most commonly HSV-1. They are almost always self limited, and will improve with time. Unfortunately, these sores will often recur, as the virus will live dormant in the body indefinitely. While we are not exactly sure what makes the virus activate and cause more sores, it is apparent that different causes of stress can make the virus awaken to haunt you again. Fortunately, it will almost always go away again within a matter of time. Unfortunately, it is quite infectious and can be spread readily, especially when the sores are active. Simple touch is the most common way to spread the virus, and that is why it is so important to wash your hands regularly and also to make sure and practice safe sex. The sores from the face can be transferred to the genitals, and vice versa as well. So, with regards to your question, it is important not to touch your face, and especially your eyes as the virus can cause problems if it affects the eyes. It is important to wash your hands regularly as well. Please speak with your doctor about this.

• Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309