Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I have a ringworm rash that burns and itches, what is it?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a ringworm rash that burns and itches, what is it?


I have a ringworm rash that burns and itches! Monistat is the only thing that helps! I'm a teenage male and need help figuring out what it is my gf is freaking out thinking I have a STD because she looked it up! What is it?


Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm not sure I completely understand your question, as it appears that you have already diagnosed your problem as ringworm. If it is ringworm, which is quite common, then anti-fungal therapy is generally quite effective at eliminating the condition. Your primary care doctor should be able to help you with this. There are many other things that can also appear similar to ringworm, and so you should speak with your doctor since you have tried to treat this multiple times with no benefit. In these instances, it could be suggesting some other problem, either intrinsic to your skin or something to do with your immune system. For that reason, speaking with your doctor can be beneficial as he or she could do some simple testing that would help to reassure you and your girlfriend. Additionally, if things don't clear up right away after that treatment, additional things can be done, possibly including a biopsy if the need arises. Please speak with your doctor about your concerns, and good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.