ZocdocAnswersI have muscle spasms on back and chest and shortness of breath, what could it be?

Question

I have muscle spasms on back and chest and shortness of breath, what could it be?

Diagnosed congestive heart failure

Answer

Thank you for your question. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, I would need to review any prior testing you have had to reach the diagnosis of congestive heart failure. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to provide an answer to your question. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. Muscle spasms in the back are often causes by overuse of the muscles. Dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities can also contribute. These symptoms may respond to hydration and muscle relaxants, but I encourage you to discuss these symptoms with a physician. Shortness of breath also has many potential causes. If you suffer from congestive heart failure, then you may have pulmonary edema, or increased fluid within the lung tissue. This limits your ability to transport oxygen from the air to your blood, making it difficult to breathe. It is also possible you are short of breath because your heart is too weak to pump blood to the rest of your body. I strongly encourage you to discuss these possibilities with a cardiologist.