search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a severe dry cough and it starts until it makes me throw up. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a severe dry cough and it starts until it makes me throw up. What should I do?

Question

I have tryed tylenol severe cold and alcaslser pills and tablets also honey with lime and nothing works

Answer

So sorry to hear about your continued suffering. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. First, we need to try and find the reason for your cough. A dry cough can come from many different sources. One of the most common causes of a cough is an infection such as a viral upper respiratory tract infection, or URI. Even after you have seemed to recover fully from the URI, you may continue to have symptoms of a cough because the receptors in your upper airway have been sensitized, meaning that the threshold for them to trigger a cough is much lower than it usually is. Usually, the cough mechanism is a defense against aspiration and other things that can make you ill. Another common cause of a dry cough is reflux. Many people who have no obvious signs of heart burn will still have reflux that contributes to a cough. Sometimes, a trial of an over the counter medication to decrease stomach acid will help with the symptoms. Usually, it is a good idea to speak with your doctor first. Finally, there are many medications that can contribute to a dry cough, with ACE inhibitors being notoriously bad at causing cough. Other medical problems can also contribute. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances