I have a severe dry cough and it starts until it makes me throw up. What should I do?

I have tryed tylenol severe cold and alcaslser pills and tablets also honey with lime and nothing works
So sorry to hear about your continued suffering. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. First, we need to try and find the reason for your cough. A dry cough can come from many different sources. One of the most common causes of a cough is an infection such as a viral upper respiratory tract infection, or URI. Even after you have seemed to recover fully from the URI, you may continue to have symptoms of a cough because the receptors in your upper airway have been sensitized, meaning that the threshold for them to trigger a cough is much lower than it usually is. Usually, the cough mechanism is a defense against aspiration and other things that can make you ill. Another common cause of a dry cough is reflux. Many people who have no obvious signs of heart burn will still have reflux that contributes to a cough. Sometimes, a trial of an over the counter medication to decrease stomach acid will help with the symptoms. Usually, it is a good idea to speak with your doctor first. Finally, there are many medications that can contribute to a dry cough, with ACE inhibitors being notoriously bad at causing cough. Other medical problems can also contribute. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.

• Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021