Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How to reschedule my period?"

ZocdocAnswersHow to reschedule my period?


Just started taking Triphasil roughly a week ago. My period is schedule to come end of this month but I'll be travelling then. I'd like to have my period early or maybe skip it, whichever is better. How should I go about doing it? Thank you


Please consult your OB-GYN for advice on Triphasil, especially since you are new to these pills. That being said, in general it is possible to delay or perhaps stop your period entirely with birth control pills as long as the pills have the same dose of hormones in each pill. A birth control pill pack contains 28 pills to mimic a natural 28-day menstrual cycle, but only 21 of these pills contain reproductive hormones to suppress your fertility and therefore are active. The rest are inactive sugar pills. When you have "period" during the week of taking these 7 sugar pills, it is not actual menstrual bleeding. It is actually withdrawal bleeding, which looks like a period. This withdrawal bleeding is due to your body's response to stopping the hormones that causes a drop in the hormone level and makes the lining of the uterus so weak that it bleeds. To delay the withdrawal bleeding for your travel, you may be able skip the sugar pills and start the next pack of active pills right away if your doctor thinks this is appropriate. This way, you will have 6 consecutive weeks on your active pills instead of three weeks. When you are ready to have your "period," you can take the sugar pills from the previous month. Please discuss with your OB-GYN about taking a short pill-free break. It is not advisable to do this regularly. If you are interested in suppressing the bleeding entirely for long-term, there are other newer oral contraceptives. You can also ask for Mirena I.U.D. which has a convenient side effect of extremely light or absent periods.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.