ZocdocAnswersWhy does my ear keep popping?

Question

Why does my ear keep popping?

my ear just started randomly pooping last night. am not sick no colds or fevers. am not in high altitude or anything like that. i haven't been in a pool. its just pooping it does not hurt no pressure just annoying pooping in my right ear. it started last night and was pooping nonstop tell i fell asleep. i thought it was gone in the morning but it came back. right now its not constantly pooping like it was last night but its still pooping. am perfectly young and healthy keep my ears clean. what could this be?

Answer

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. The sensation of the ears popping on a regular basis can be quite unnerving. Most often, this is found in the setting of some sort of infection of the upper respiratory tract or something else that would cause the eustachian tube to narrow. This is because the root of the problem seems to arise in the eustachian tube itself. This tube allows air to enter the middle ear via the back of the throat. Ideally, this occurs without us knowing when we yawn, etc, and helps to keep the ear aerated so that sound can pass through to the inner ear efficiently. When the tube becomes narrowed or blocked, this aerating of the middle ear becomes less simple, and it requires some attention on our part, such as performing a nasal valsalva to try and increase pressure into the ear to open it up. As most of these things are self limited, usually supportive care is all that is needed. If the problem persists, it can be a sign of something more serious such as an infection or even a mass obstructing the tube itself. Please speak with your doctor about your question and how to feel better.