ZocdocAnswersWhat is the typical surgery and recovery time for osteochondroma?

Question

What is the typical surgery and recovery time for osteochondroma?

I was diagnosed with an osteochondroma on the ischial tuberosity/femoral neck area. I wanted to know what the typical surgery and recovery time is for this procedure, and if it will relieve my lower back pain.

Answer

Thanks for your question. Osteochondromas are benign bony masses that can occur along the bones of the body. While there are documented cases of people having osteochondromas of the ischial tuberosity that also lead to some pain such as sciatica, this is not a common occurrence. You will need to speak with your surgeon more fully about the size of the mass and the expected surgery. Perhaps even more importantly, you will need to speak with your surgeon about the expectation that this may help to improve your symptoms of pain. There is a common understanding among surgeons that operating to relieve pain is fraught with difficulty, as there are occasions when even the best surgery will fail to result in pain relief. This can be due to a number of different factors, including the chance that even the nerves themselves have been sensitized to chronic pain issues. For this reason, it is always best to have a very open conversation with your surgeon about what the risks, expectations, and possible outcomes are of your situation and what surgery he or she will expect to perform. Please speak with your doctor about this question and surgery.