Swollen lymph node- is it a lipoma or a cyst of some sort?

I have had a tender movable lump just slightly behind my left clavicle for around 4 weeks. My doctor thinks it is an inflamed lymph node and has told me to give it another 4 weeks or so to see if it goes away naturally. I've had swollen lymph nodes under my jaw before however and they have never remained this long. Do you think it might more likely be a lipoma or a cyst of some sort?
This is an interesting question, and I am sorry to hear that you are having to be concerned about this node for such a long time. It is obviously hard for me to say exactly what this may be, but it is certainly concerning that the node has been there for such a long time. I suggest you discuss your concerns with you doctor. I would be interested to know if you have any other symptoms as well, as some of these may explain why your doctor does not seem to be worried about this. If you are recovering from a recent infection, for example, then it would be more normal for you to have a swollen gland. If you have had no infectious symptoms, but instead have been losing weight and having chills, fatigue, night sweats, etc, I would be quite a bit more concerned and suggest speaking with your doctor more about your symptoms in detail, and perhaps discussing the risks and benefits of further testing. Some doctors will like to do a trial of antibiotics to see if lymph nodes improve, and if they don't, will consider doing a test to see what is making the node big. Regardless, please discuss your concerns with your doctor.

• Dr. William Cohen
    Dr. William Cohen DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2501 E Chapman Ave
    Orange, CA 92869
  • Dr. Jonathan Berman
    Dr. Jonathan Berman MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    670 Glades Road
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
  • Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723