Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Blisters on foot peeling off, it's super painful. What can I do?"

ZocdocAnswersBlisters on foot peeling off, it's super painful. What can I do?


I recently suffered from Hand, Foot and Mouth disease, and my feet were covered in open sores for about a week. A few days ago I noticed all the sores turned into little bubbles on my feet, or blisters. Yesterday I saw that they 'popped' and now my skin is falling off, leaving my feet with raw skin!! What can i do to fix this? Should i cut off the skin or take a warm bath and let it heal? Thanks.


Thank you very much for your question. It is unfortunate that you have had Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease and hope that you have sought consultation with your physician for further treatment and management. It is not uncommon to have sores that blister. These can fill with fluid and eventually burst under pressure, leaving raw skin beneath it that has not had the time to develop a fully epithelialized layer and is thus quite sensitive. Good wound management principles would suggest keeping the wound clean and dry. This would include washing with soap and water without soaking. You may use a clean non-adherent dressing to prevent gauze from sticking against the sensitive skin. It is key to change dressings frequently and keep the area clean to prevent infection. A wound nurse or a physician should evaluate the wounds to assess whether any skin should be debrided. They can also provide more specific instruction on wound care based on the appearance of the wound. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis or treatment plan without consulting with a qualified medical professional such as a physician, physician's assistant, or nurse practitioner. I suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or local health center for further evaluation and wound management recommendations.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.