ZocdocAnswersI have been constipated for the past month and I fell discomfort. Should I be worried?

Question

I have been constipated for the past month and I fell discomfort. Should I be worried?

I am a 16 year old female. For the past month I have been constipated. I have tried amitiza , colace, and all sorts of laxatives and enemas to make me go. They all worked nonetheless but I didn't want to rely on medication all the time so I decided to add a lot more fiber to my diet. Now, I am going regularly but my stomach is not always in pain but I feel discomfort. It feels as though things are moving in my stomach. Also, I have been getting a very sharp pain in my lower abdomen that goes to my rectum and I feel hungrier than before. Also, intercourse is pretty painful. Doctors , should I be worried ?

Answer

I think that there are a few different possible causes of your symptoms. Your G.I. symptoms could be due to many different causes, and further testing will be needed. So it is important for you to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. I would probably start with testing you for celiac disease and other sensitivities such as lactose intolerance. If these came back normal, then I might consider an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy, but this might be put off as a last resort. In the end, your symptoms sound very much like your irritable bowel syndrome also known as IBS. IBS is a condition that causes diarrhea, often constipation, abdominal pain, bloating, and pain in the lower abdomen that tends to get better just after a bowel movement. The painful intercourse could be related to irritable bowel syndrome or it could be related to and another condition altogether. The first condition that comes to mind when I think of painful intercourse is endometriosis. If you additionally told me that you had very painful periods, endometriosis would be one of my top considerations. Again, I think that you should start by scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. The combination of these symptoms needs to be discussed in detail, and you need a thorough physical exam before it can be clear what the next step should be.