ZocdocAnswersMy pulse has been low between 35-50, is this something I should be seen for?

Question

My pulse has been low between 35-50, is this something I should be seen for?

I had back surgery on Wednesday and my pulse has been low between 35-50 is this something I should be seen for?

Answer

The answer to this question depends on a lot of factors and I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. There are people for which a pulse rate of 35-50 is normal. Some people naturally have a heart rate that low, while others are just in top shape (trained athletes) and their hearts are in such good shape that their heart rate drops. Some people take medication for their blood pressure and have a low heart rate because of the medication. In some other people a heart rate that low represents a real problem. Sick sinus syndrome is an example of a disease where the heart abnormally beats too slow. People with sick sinus syndrome sometimes have no symptoms at first, but at some point will have symptoms of lightheadedness or even passing out. Which of the two you are is not possible to determine with the information you provided. Sick sinus syndrome typically happens in older folks, so if you are young, it is less likely. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. He or she will likely want to do more testing such as an EKG or even a Holter monitor. If you do not have a problem, only observation is needed. If you do have sick sinus syndrome or another problem, a pacemaker is the solution. Good luck.