Will taking 400mg of ibuprofen the morning of fasting for blood work for cholesterol check ok?

Will cholesterol #s be affected by taking ibuprofen before blood drawn
I would suggest that you speak with your primary care physician to discuss this issue. Ibuprofen is a medication that is often used for pain and sometimes fever. It acts by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins which are compounds in the body that cause pain. It can be a very effective medication for many different types of minor pain. The side effects of ibuprofen include stomach upset and nausea. People that have a history of gastric ulcers should not take ibuprofen because this can cause or worsen an ulcer. People that have kidney disease or heart disease should also avoid ibuprofen unless cleared by their doctor. This is because ibuprofen can exacerbate chronic kidney disease if taken in high enough doses for a long enough time. The use of ibuprofen should not affect any of your blood chemistries if it is only taken once. In addition, it will not affect your cholesterol level. I should also note here that the modern machines the check for cholesterol can often do so in someone that is not fasting. You should check with your doctor to make sure that fasting is necessary for this particular blood draw. It still is in some cases. This is especially true if your have your triglycerides checked which can be affected by eating within four hours of the blood test. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss this issue.