Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"When will my facial hematoma go down? "

ZocdocAnswersWhen will my facial hematoma go down?


I was struck in the face (upper lip under nose) with a hockey puck Sunday ( it's Friday now) and my swelling has only got worse. I have been in to see many doctors and they all say there is no infection...which is good...but the swelling keeps getting worse. It's not making it so I can't breath, but I can't put anything other than a straw in my mouth and it is very uncomfortable. Should I look at getting it drained? The hematoma is the entire upper lip and has discoloration like a bruise. I have been advised to stop cold compress , but should I start it again? Thanks


Thank you for this interesting question, and I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. In cases where there is a collection of blood under the skin, it can be difficult to know how to proceed. In some situations, it is important to drain the fluid so that the normal tissues can heal appropriately. This can be the case in situations of large collections, as it can happen that the collections can calcify and become permanent in some rare situations. In most situations of most smaller hematomas or bruises, these tend to resolve with time, even if it feels that a large amount of time is required. Your doctors may have decided that you needed to have some imaging completed so that they could determine how big the cavity or bruise is and what to do about it. An ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon) may be best situated to help you with this problem. He or she would be able to make recommendations that could potentially help you to have some rapid resolution of this problem. Please speak with your doctor about your question, and get a referral to a specialist if needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.