ZocdocAnswersWhat could be the cause of lower back pains?

Question

What could be the cause of lower back pains?

I'm 13, and I've been getting this wierd mystery pains right under my ribs, there really sudden pains, I've been to the doctors and got given some tablets because I've had a water infection, I took them for 6 days or so, but Its back? I admit I don't drink enough, but now I just feel too weak and lifeless. I feel sick at the thought of food, and I don't know what to do? Help me please!

Answer

There are many causes of back pain, but in someone of your age there are only a few. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or pediatrician. What you are describing sounds like you may have developed a urinary tract infection that has progressed into pyelonephritis. Pyelonephritis is a condition where an infection in the bladder ascends into the kidneys through the ureters. When this occurs, patients typically developed fever, burning with urination, pelvic pain, and flank or low back pain. The pain is often described as just under the ribs on their side or on their flank. The fact that you are describing a "water infection" suggests to me that what you mean is that you had a urinary tract infection. If you were given some tablets, I would want to know what those tablets were. Some doctors might prescribe you a more natural tablets such as cranberry pills which are unlikely to resolve a urinary tract infection. If you received an antibiotic and you still feel bad, then you should have a urine culture to find out what types of bacteria are causing your infection. For this problem I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or pediatrician in your case. The urinalysis can be performed in the office which can rule in or rule out a urinary tract infection and pyelonephritis.