ZocdocAnswersIf a person has Hepatitis C can he date someone with cirrhosis of the liver?

Question

If a person has Hepatitis C can he date someone with cirrhosis of the liver?

A guy i just started seeing has sirrosis of the liver and i have a past drug problem and I'm scarred i have hep c. would our relationship worsen his condition?

Answer

You have asked a very good question that needs to be evaluated by your doctor. The very first step here is that you need to be tested for hepatitis C. From your question, it is not clear to me that you have been diagnosed with hepatitis C. If you have or you are, then you should consult with a gastroenterologist for consideration of treatment. Hepatitis C can be transmitted sexually, but it is actually rare for this to happen. However, if your partner has cirrhosis of the liver, then his condition could be significantly worsened if he were to be infected with hepatitis C. Therefore, this is not an issue that should be ignored. I suggest that you start by scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can order a hepatitis C test and test you for other conditions that are associated with ID drug abuse. Another virus that you need to be tested for is HIV. If you do test positive for hepatitis C, then you need to have a discussion about the risk of transmitting this virus to your boyfriend who has cirrhosis of the liver. If he were to be infected by hepatitis C this could be devastating to his liver function. Good luck.