ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see for nerves causing muscle spasm?

Question

What kind of doctor should I see for nerves causing muscle spasm?

my trapezious muscles have been in constant spasm for 4 years and are terribly painful. I just had Botox injections by my pain manager which caused them to relax a bit for a few days but now are spasming again. I was told it is caused by nerves sending wrong signal to muscle. What kind of doctor should I see for this?

Answer

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder pain and spasms. Before we proceed, I just want to emphasize the importance of following up with your regular doctor for definitive evaluation and treatment. That said, muscle spasm and it's resultant pain can be difficult problems that are often seen by many types of physician specialists, which is reflective of the multi-modal way of approaching this challenging problem. You are correct that your trapezius spasms are due to nerve impulses. A pain management specialist like the one you have seen is often a great option because they typically have many options to addressing this. Aside from botox injections, which essentially paralyze the trapezius muscle, pain management specialists also can perform nerve injections depending on the underlying pathology. I would advise you see either a neurologist, who can evaluate you, and potentially obtain an MRI of your cervical (neck) spine. You may have an underlying nerve impingement accounting for your chronic symptoms. If that is the case, your pain management specialist may be able to perform an image-guided injection that of steroid and numbing medication to treat your symptoms. Again, please consult your physician or neurologist to initiate evaluation and treatment of your condition.