ZocdocAnswers Why does my shoulder hurt?

Question

Why does my shoulder hurt?

When I push my elbow straight back the top of my shoulder hurts if I lift something up to the side straight up my shoulder hurts if my arm is elevated my shoulder hurts When I bring it back down When I rotated It in a circle with my elbow pointed straight out it hurts

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your shoulder pain. It is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without knowing the full details of your medical history, including details about any potential shoulder trauma, and performing a thorough physical exam. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to further evaluate your symptoms. There are multiple different structures within the shoulder that can become injured and lead to shoulder pain. The rotator cuff, which is a group of four muscles, can sustain injuries leading to pain and disability. The four muscles include the deltoid, supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and subscapularis. Specific physical exam maneuvers can help determine which, if any, of these muscles are injured. You may also have injured the humeral cartilage, which lines the top of your arm bone, or the labrum, which is the piece of cartilage lining the shoulder joint itself. The acromioclavicular joint, which connects the collar bone to the shoulder, can also become injured and lead to persistent pain. Again, it is not possible to diagnose such an injury without a thorough physical exam. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After examining you, they can determine if you need an x-ray or MRI of your shoulder to further evaluate your pain.