ZocdocAnswersI am 35 weeks and 3 days pregnant, also I'm 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. Can I use castor oil?

Question

I am 35 weeks and 3 days pregnant, also I'm 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. Can I use castor oil?

I am having very bad back pain. Everything i eat flows right through me. I have severe headaches.

Answer

Rather than trying an over the counter product, it would be appropriate for you to speak with your doctor before moving on. Your symptoms could be a sign of something serious that needs immediate treatment. While castor oil has been used for many years as a treatment for many different ailments, including inducing labor in some situations, it is not the first product that most doctors would turn to. Additionally, it is difficult to know that your baby is fully ready to be delivered at this point, as it is still relatively early and you have not quite arrived to a full term delivery. While you are obviously suffering from not feeling well, there are some risks that are associated with early labor, and so it is important to weight the risks and benefits before jumping to something that may have long term consequences. Speaking with your doctor is a good idea, as he or she may agree that it is time to move things along if it is in the best interest of your health and the health of your baby. He or she will be able to provide more directed information, and help you and your baby to be well. Again, please speak with your doctor.