Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does my mom get exertion for small activities at home?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my mom get exertion for small activities at home?


My MOM 66 has been suffering from frequent asthma attacks.. frequent visits to ER had to be given O2.. most of the symptoms are shortness of breath even for regular activity like taking bath, settling down after restrooms, small activity like cleaning the shelves, walk within the house.. I am more concerned that she cant even walk in stairs.. One day her fingers turned blue right after climbin stairs 20 step stairs !! Our pulmonogy doctor has advised to take Duolin / Budesol for nebulization 2 times day. Any professional/fruitful response appreciated from doctors to get back and enble normalcy and be able to walk and perform personal regular activity.


Thanks for your question. This may be a difficult problem for your mother that requires significant medical help to help her reach her full potential and best pulmonary status. There are a number of possible explanations. Of course her pulmonologist will be the best person to answer these questions, as he or she has more information available. It is always advised that you follow your doctor's recommendations, and discuss any concerns that you may have if there are any. Problems with a lack of pulmonary reserve can come from a number of different factors. If her lungs themselves have been injured or scarred in the past, it can make it difficult for her to have sufficient functioning air cells to effectively exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide and vice versa. Some of the medications that are prescribed are designed to decrease inflammation and improve the body's ability to exchange air. One thing that is sometimes overlooked is the fact that other issues can seem to be related to lung exchange, but actually stem from other causes. For example, severe anemia can result in some of the same symptoms, as can many heart problems. Please speak with your doctor about these questions.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.