My doctor did an EKG then asked me if I have an enlarged heart. Does this mean that's what was seen?

Then asked me if I have an enlarged heart. Does this mean that's what was seen?
An electrocardiogram, or EKG, measures the electrical impulse of your heart. If the chambers of your heart, which include right and left atria and right and left ventricles, are enlarged, this may result in abnormal electrical impulses on your EKG. Enlargement of each chamber typically causes characteristic changes on the EKG, and it is difficult to comment on which chambers are enlarged without analyzing the EKG itself. I recommend you consult the physician who performed the EKG as to what specific concerns were raised by this test. In some cases, such as young, athletic individuals, an EKG indicating an enlarged heart may be a benign finding. In other instances, such an EKG may be due to a pathologic process such as left ventricular hypertrophy, right ventricular hypertrophy, right or left atrial abnormality, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, or pulmonary hypertension. Ultimately, a transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE), or ultrasound of your heart, is the appropriate test to further assess whether you have any abnormality of heart chamber size or thickness. If there is concern for heart enlargement on an EKG, this would be the next appropriate test. I strongly recommend you consult your physician and, if necessary, pursue a referral to a cardiologist to determine if further testing is appropriate.

Other Cardiologists