ZocdocAnswersMy left side lower back has been hurting for a while, what's wrong ?

Question

My left side lower back has been hurting for a while, what's wrong ?

My left side had been hurting all week, it usually gets worse after I stand up after sitting down for a while, sometimes I can't even walk correctly .

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that would be best answered by a medical professional such as a primary care doctor. There are several causes for low back pain and the best way to know what is the cause is by your primary care doctor obtaining your history and performing a physical examination. At that point, they will be able to decide what further testing may be necessary as well as whether a referral to a specialist is warranted. Possible causes for low back pain include muscle spasms, these can sometimes be treated by muscle relaxant medications, which decrease the spasming of the muscles and decrease the pain that this causes. Another potential cause can be lumbar degenerative disc disease, which is not more than normal degenerative changes that occur in all of us as we age. Sometimes this can become so severe that surgery may become warranted, but again, it is important to be evaluated by a medical professional who can make that decision. Sometimes disc herniations can cause impingement of the nerves traveling out of the spinal canal, and this can lead to radiating pain that travels down into the buttocks, groin, or legs. This can be treated with conservative therapy such as physical therapy and medications or surgery as well.