Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should I get checked out if I have a miscarriage?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I get checked out if I have a miscarriage?


I had a miscarriage 2 months after I got pregnant, or at least I had thought. My period was irregular after that and extremely heavy. There was also a lot of black, old blood, every time my period started. About a month ago the rest of the fetus came out and I got really worried, but everyone said that since it was so long after my miscarriage I shouldn't worry. Now I have my period and I feel neuseas, I have terrible cramps all through out my stomach and I feel the urge to throw up.


You should absolutely be seen for this problem very very soon. From the descriptions of your symptoms, it does sound like you did have a miscarriage. If you are sexually active not using protection, and you did not get you period for one month and then had a heavy period with contents that may look like the products of conception, then this really does sound like a miscarriage. A miscarriage itself just described the death of a fetus. However, we cannot be sure if all of the products of conception have come out of you or not. For this reason, you need to go see an OB/GYN right away. He or she may perform a pelvic ultrasound to have a close look in your uterus to see if there are any products of conception left over. In addition, your doctor will likely want to perform certain blood tests to look for signs that you were pregnant. This is important because any products of conception that are left over and not reproved either naturally or through surgery can lead to infection or other problems that can make you really sick. Because you feel nauseated and are having terrible cramps, this makes me want to have you seen even sooner.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.