Why are my feet itchy?

yesterday my feet began to itch & burn something awful. thought maybe it was because I worked a nine hour shift (on my feet the whole time) the day before plus the three mile (one way) bike ride to work & then back home. So I stayed off my feet yesterday. But still itchy. Hydrocotisone cream helps but doesn't keep the itch away long. Gold Bond lotion helps some.
Itchiness in the feet can be caused by a variety of thing. It is important to see your health care provider for proper assessment. During hot and warm whether, particularly after exercise when the feet is sweaty and warm fungal infections can take hold. This can be anywhere in the feet, but most commonly between the toes. Other common causes of itchiness in the feet is an allergic reaction to shoes, or other material the feet were in contact with. This commonly will also cause a rash. Occasionally, if the skin is very dry (called xerosis), it can also be very itchy. Atopic dermatitis, also known as eczema, can cause intense itchiness. However, other systemic issues (such as diabetes, elevated levels of bilirubin, and so fourth) can also cause itchiness, but this is less likely to cause itchiness just on the feet. The treatment for itchy feet depends on the cause. It fungal infection is present, anti-fungal medications as well as topical steroids are necessary. Eczema and contact dermatitis tend to respond well to steroids, but often times needs stronger steroids than the over the counter variety. In addition, good moisturizing of the skin is important with vaseline or other ointment. But a visit to the doctor is necessary for proper diagnosis.