Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a foul odor that seems to be coming from my nose, mouth and throat. What can I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a foul odor that seems to be coming from my nose, mouth and throat. What can I do?


I have been coughing up spit mixed with these sometimes brown sometimes red , or green little spots. I stopped smoking cigrattes about two weeks ago. I brush my teeth , use a tongue scrapper , used therabreath products , hydrogen perxidode , everything to at least mask the smell but even then my breathe would be fresh then it would stink. I smell it coming from my nose and others to . The smell is like a rottening ,toxic , sulfur smell. It is so embrassing because even with my mouth close people cough and make faces. I'm a freshman iñ college and this is taking a toll on me . Please help I can even smell it coming out of my throat. It smells so polluted. I'm even thinking of suicide. I'm not even the same social happy person I used to be.


Thank you for your question. First and foremost, please get help immediately. If you are thinking about suicide in any way, shape, or form, you need to speak with a doctor or another health professional immediately. Foul breath is something that can be treated successfully, and does not have to remain with you or define who you are. Please speak with your doctor about your suicidal thoughts, as these can also be helped. Now, with regards to your foul odor that you describe, the biggest thing to help with this is something that you have already done: stop smoking. Fortunately, the results from this should continue to build, and your breath is going to continue to improve as this clears from your system. Part of your problem could be that your sense of smell may be working better now that you are no longer smoking, and so you can notice subtle things that may not have been so apparent before. Brushing your teeth and rinsing with some of the products that you have described can all go a long ways to improve your symptoms. Please speak with your doctor about this problem as well, as you may have another explanation. Please get the help you need immediately by speaking with a doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.