ZocdocAnswersI have a pain in the back right side of my right knee near the bend, what is it?

Question

I have a pain in the back right side of my right knee near the bend, what is it?

I get a achy pain pain when walking that causes my knee to give way sometimes. It is near the bend of my right side of my right knee near the back.

Answer

Thank you for your question. There are several muscles, ligaments and cartilages in this area that could be compromised based on the description that you have provided. It is difficult to determine which part of the knee joint is affected without more information, a physical exam, and perhaps some x-rays to determine what the next step should be. So it is important to speak with your doctor. In general, after a few weeks of time have passed, it is possible to know that an injury of the extremities or a joint needs to be treated by a doctor. In extreme cases or severe pain or loss of function, this timeline can be sped up. Speaking with your regular doctor can determine if you need to have a referral to an orthopedic surgeon or a sports medicine doctor, as he or she will likely be able to determine what steps need to be done before that referral is appropriate. Also, he or she may have some recommendations to improve the symptoms in the meantime. Again, please speak with your doctor about your question.