ZocdocAnswersIs 11gm/dl hemoglobin too low?

Question

Is 11gm/dl hemoglobin too low?

i went to donate blood while i was on my period and i discovered that i have low hemoglobin which is 11.i am 20 years old female.is it to low?does it have any connection with my period?

Answer

The best thing to do is to discuss these results with your doctor. There is a normal range for most lab tests that is established, in most cases, to include 2 standard deviations away from the mean lab value of most patients. This means that 95% of patients will have normal lab results by definition, and this is generally sufficient to screen out those who are most prone to having medical problems in the future. In your case, a hemoglobin of 11 may be a sign that you are having some blood loss from somewhere, especially if this is an abnormal lab value based on the parameters of your lab. There are several possible reasons that this could happen, including blood loss and low blood creation. In women of child bearing age, it is not uncommon to have increased bleeding during the menstrual cycle that can lead to low blood levels. If this is the case with you, then there may be some things that you need to do. In some cases, taking iron can help, but it is important to make sure that you are well and so you need to speak with your doctor. An OB/GYN may be a good place to start, so please speak with your doctor soon.