ZocdocAnswersMy shingle scars are pimply and itchy. Could this be another bout of shingles?

Question

My shingle scars are pimply and itchy. Could this be another bout of shingles?

First shingles this year in may then healed by start of July. One in September shingle scars are starting to get lumpy n pimply. Starting to itch

Answer

Sorry to hear about your shingles and I recommend that you speak with your doctor. The virus that causes shingles dwells in the cells indefinitely, and flare ups can occur at any time in the future. There is a shot that can be helpful for some people to prevent outbreaks and flare ups of shingles that is FDA approved in elderly people and may be appropriate. As for your specific situation, it is quite possible that the early changes that you are seeing are related to a new outbreak of shingles. You can best know if the rash is only in the area of your previous infection. That is because the zoster virus will live in the nerve cells of a single dermatome in most cases. When the immune system is compromised, even if it is just compromised by something as simple as stress, the virus can flare up in the nerve and cause symptoms. Fortunately, there are things that can be done to prevent flares and treat them quickly when they do appear. Speaking with your doctor about your concerns early on in the infection gives you the best chance to avoid the painful symptoms that may otherwise follow. Please speak with your doctor about this question.