Why do I have yellow on the white part of my eyes?

I have had this for years..it never goes away people ask me all the time why are my eyes yellow it's not getting better or going away...it looks bad...I can't see a eye doc or a doc I have no Inc. or medical...so it's hard to have it looked at...thank you for helping..
The yellowing of the eyes is typically a sign of a serious disease that should not be ignored. You should seek help from a doctor immediately for a diagnosis and any necessary treatments. Yellow eyes have way too many different causes that it would be difficult to speculate them all here, but I hope I can provide helpful information on the major ones. Until proven otherwise, your yellow eyes are a sign that you have elevated levels of bilirubin in the blood called jaundice. Jaundice is a sign of many possible liver problems that can cause it to function incorrectly. Alcoholism most commonly causes cirrhosis (scarring of the liver). Another cause is hepatitis, which is inflammation of the liver that results in its decreased function. You did not mention any other symptoms. If you have had yellow eyes for so long but no other health problems, you may have a mild liver condition called Gilbert's syndrome. Gilbert's syndrome results in your liver not properly processing bilirubin, but it is harmless. Besides liver dysfunction, other major causes of yellow eyes include a blockage to bile flow (i.e., gallstones) and increased breakdown of red blood cells. A commonly seen red blood cell disease that can give you yellow eyes is sickle cell anemia. These are only some of the many causes. Again, please discuss your concerns with your doctor who can perform a complete physical examination and order blood work to check your liver and kidney function, your bilirubin level, blood counts, and evidence of breakdown of red blood cells. Good luck.

Other Ophthalmologists

• Dr. William Blase
    Dr. William Blase MD, FACS
    Ophthalmologist
    41637 Margarita Rd
    Temecula, CA 92591
  • Dr. Hung Le
    Dr. Hung Le MD
    Ophthalmologist
    9798 Bellaire Blvd
    Houston, TX 77036
  • Dr. Zeev Stegman
    Dr. Zeev Stegman MD
    Ophthalmologist
    999 Summer St
    Stamford, CT 06905