ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel there is a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen after I pass motion?

Question

Why do I feel there is a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen after I pass motion?

Firstly, I used to suffer a pain on my right abdomen and its because my stool is too hard. However, now I am having a sharp pain on my lower left abdomen after I pass motion. Why is that so?

Answer

I assume that what you mean by pass motion is that you have pain when you pass a bowel movement? If this is the case, there are a few possible causes for this and I recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor. Before I get to that though, I should say that I do not think that your right sided abdominal pain is due to hard stool. Hard stool and constipation typically causes more diffuse (right and left sided) or just left sided pain. If you are having right sided pain, then you might need an evaluation for that pain to find another reason, other than hard stool. With that said, the pain you have when you pass a bowel movement could be from an anal fissure, an infected hemorrhoid, or some other problem in your rectum. Simply having hard stool can also be a cause of difficulty or painful bowel movements. What you need to do first is schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Your primary care doctor will likely want to do a rectal exam to look for signs of a fissure or an infected hemorrhoid. If the cause cannot be found with a simple exam, your doctor might refer you to a gastroenterologist for further evaluation which might include a sigmoidoscopy.