ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for my period to start 2 days early and only last 1.5-2 days?

Question

Is it normal for my period to start 2 days early and only last 1.5-2 days?

I am nearly 20, a full time college student and engaged to be married next December. I started birth control in May and my periods have been pretty regular since then. My fiance and I do have intercourse, but we try to be very careful about it. This month I had the normal pre-period symptoms a week before I was supposed to start, but instead of starting on the day I was supposed to, I started 2 days early. Also my period only has lasted about a day and a half to two days, My breasts are not tender, and my back isn't hurting as much as it normally does during my cycle, but I still feel the slight pressure in my ovary of the shedding (I have never had cramps either). I was just wondering if this was normal, or if I should start to worry.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It is not possible to provide an accurate explanation for your situation without knowing the full details of your medical history and the full list of your medications, including the specific type of birth control pill you are taking. It is also necessary to perform a thorough physical exam. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a gynecologist to discuss your symptoms. In general, one important thing to rule out with variations in your period is pregnancy. Birth control pills can affect your periods, and it is possible you accidentally altered your birth control regimen without realizing it. Variations in your periods often occur normally without clear pathologic reasons. Many abnormalities in hormonal levels will affect your period. Conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, and premature ovarian failure can all explain variations in menstruation. Sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea and chlamydia can lead to variations in menstruation. Additionally, thyroid abnormalities can affect your period. I encourage you to raise all these concerns with a gynecologist. After performing a thorough history and physical exam, you may need to undergo additional tests to evaluate for pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and thyroid abnormalities.