ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel like I have to throw up in the mornings?

Question

Why do I feel like I have to throw up in the mornings?

my stomach hurts in the morning and I feel like I have to throw up , but it doesn't last that long it goes away in about a hour or so , & its not morning sickness because im on my period for the second time this month what could be wrong ?

Answer

Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about your symptoms. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. There are many causes of nausea, one of which is pregnancy. You have already mentioned that this is not likely, and therefore we should also consider other options. Many systemic conditions can ultimately end with the symptom of nausea. Poorly controlled diabetes, medications, electrolyte abnormalities, reflux, and even tumors can all end in symptoms of nausea. The fact that it seems to only happen in the morning suggests that there may be something related to your position, and post nasal drainage (such as from allergies) can cause a sensation of nausea in the morning in some people. It may alternatively suggest something to do with your blood sugar (before you eat in the morning), hormonal levels that vary throughout the day, or any number of other explanations. Also, some drug interactions can result in nausea, and if you take any medications in the morning that could be one explanation. You will need to speak with your doctor to determine what is the cause in your case. Please speak with your doctor about your problem, and he or she will be able to help and do testing as needed.