ZocdocAnswersWhy am I getting migraines on a daily basis?

Question

Why am I getting migraines on a daily basis?

Currently I've been experiencing facial twitching and muscle twitching in my arms and legs. I've been having daily migraines with no previous condition. I have had a MRI of the back of my head a while ago where my migraine started. They've gotten so bad I start to cry and I've had to go to the ER a few times. Recently my migraines have intensified and they are several kinds of pains; a throbbing, burning, stabbing, and pounding. I've also recently started getting dizzy and light headed at random times. Also don't know if this has anything to do with it but I smell cigarette smoke and I don't smoke neither do I know anyone that smokes. I have no preexisting conditions. This has been going on for almost a year now.

Answer

So sorry to hear about your persistent headaches. It sounds like they are affecting your life to a great degree, and it is time to speak with a physician who specializes in treating this condition rather than returning to the emergency department where it can be harder to get a deeper level of care that is often necessary to treat these more difficult problems that can require more of a chronic approach to overcome. Often, medications may have to be adjusted or doses altered in order to find a regimen that will work for you. It is interesting that you describe the phenomenon of phantosmia, or smelling things that are not really present. Cigarette smoke can be a common complaint in these situations. Many rhinologists (a subspecialist within the feel of otolaryngology - head and neck surgery) feel that it is a good idea to get an MRI of the part of the brain where the nerves that are involved in smell pass through in this sort of situation, to see if there is a cause. While it may be unlikely, this may provide insight into your chronic headaches. Speak with your doctor about this question, and see if referrals are appropriate.