Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can you get pregnant if you have an STD and BV?"

ZocdocAnswersCan you get pregnant if you have an STD and BV?


In 2008 I had gonorrhea and partner and I were both treat. We've been together for 6 years and have been trying to get pregnant. I exercise in a regular, eat healthy and I take prenatal vitamins with folic acid. I also from time to time will have BV. Am I able to conceive. I have unprotected sex with my significant other and still I am not pregnant nor was before. Please help! Thank you!


This is a great question and I recommend discussing it with your OBGYN. Getting pregnant can sometimes be a frustrating experience if it is not happening as quickly as you would like. Infertility is defined as not being able to get pregnant despite having frequent unprotected sex for at least a year. Infertility affects 10 to 15 percent of couples in the United States. It is very important for you to make an appointment with your OBGYN to discuss your concerns regarding not having conceived. BV, or bacterial vaginosis, does not cause problems with getting pregnant, however, having had gonorrhea and chlamydia in your past can sometimes lead to scarring in your fallopian tubes if you developed pelvic inflammatory disease related to these STDs. Your doctor may want to run some tests, such as a hysterosalpingogram, if you have been trying unsuccessfully for a year or more to conceive. Your doctor will also ask about the timing and regularity of your periods. Usually your partner's sperm count will be tested as well as it is not always the female that is the one with the problem. I commend you for following a healthy lifestyle and taking your prenatal vitamins. Please make an appointment with your OBGYN to discuss your fertility questions and good luck!

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.