ZocdocAnswersCan wisdom teeth extraction modify the face?

Question

Can wisdom teeth extraction modify the face?

Hello, I'm from France, and my question is about the wisdom teeth. I want to know if the extraction of the wisdom teeth can modify the face and cause wrinkles? Thank you.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are worried about having your wisdom teeth out; namely that it might cause facial wrinkles and modify the appearance of your face. I am happy to give you some information about third molars (or 'wisdom teeth'), as well as some of my initial thoughts, however ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT or oral maxillofacial surgeon (OMFS) to get evaluated. They will be able to examine you and take more of a history which is ultimately what you need to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. As you are well aware, the majority of people have third molars which are referred to colloquially as wisdom teeth. In most people that have their first and second molars intact, when the third molars come in they push the rest of the teeth forward and into each other. This does a few things that are not ideal: first it can cause significant pressure between teeth that are being shoved into each other, and second, it can cause misalignment of your dentition. That is why some people have very straight teeth all their life until their wisdom teeth come in. One thing that wisdom teeth do not do is alter the external appearance of the face. There will be swelling when they are removed which will be visible in the face, but once this goes down a few weeks after surgery, there should be no lasting external changes. An oral surgeon will be able to look at you and tell you exactly what is going on in your case. Best of luck.