ZocdocAnswersI just had ACL surgery on my left knee and my left foot has been numb, does that mean I have a blood clot?

Question

I just had ACL surgery on my left knee and my left foot has been numb, does that mean I have a blood clot?

I just had ACL surgery on my left knee my left foot has been numb since I had my surgery and that was two days ago does that mean I have a blood clot?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It is critical that you discuss your symptoms with the surgeon who performed the surgery, as it is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without knowing the full details of your medical history or the procedure itself. In general, patients are at increased risk for blood clots after lower extremity orthopedic procedures because of lack of mobility afterward. This risk is typically higher for joint replacement surgeries and lower for ligamentous surgeries, such as ACL repair. During walking, your calf muscles help squeeze blood from your veins back into your heart. When you are immobile, this does not occur, and the pooling of blood can lead to a clot. With a blood clot in the leg (deep vein thrombosis), patients often experience pain and swelling. Numbness can also occur. You should contact your surgeon to determine if this is a possibility. Other possibilities include nerve damage from the surgery. This could either be due to nerve damage from the procedure itself or because one of the nerves in your leg was compressed for some time while you were positioned in a mechanical sling for the procedure. This can persist for days. I also encourage you to discuss this possibility with your surgeon.